Yesterday’s highlight in the Bush-administration-admitting-something-about-Iraq-abundantly-apparent-to-everyone-else category was this:
The U.S. force that scoured Iraq for weapons of mass destruction — cited by President Bush as justification for war — has abandoned its long and fruitless hunt, U.S. officials said on Wednesday. The 1,700-strong Iraq Survey Group, responsible for the hunt, last month wrapped up physical searches for weapons of mass destruction, and it will now gather information to help U.S. forces in Iraq win a bloody guerrilla war, officials said. “I felt like we would find weapons of mass destruction … like many — many here in the United States, many around the world,” Bush told ABC’s Barbara Walters, according to excerpts from an interview airing on Friday. Bush said “we need to find out what went wrong in the intelligence gathering,” and that the invasion was “absolutely” worth it even if there were no weapons of mass destruction.
Today, it’s this:
President Bush pledged to be more diplomatic, saying he regretted sending the wrong impression of the United States when he used phrases like “Bring ’em on” and “dead or alive” in his first term. In an interview with ABC’s Barbara Walters to be broadcast Friday, Bush said some of his past remarks were too blunt. “‘Bring it on’ was a little blunt,” the president said in a transcript of the interview released Thursday. “I remember when I talked about Osama bin Laden, I said we’re going to get him dead or alive. I guess it’s not the most diplomatic of language,” Bush said…In another mea culpa, the president said he felt his administration had done a poor job bolstering its image in the Muslim world. “Our public diplomacy efforts aren’t … very robust and aren’t very good compared to the public diplomacy efforts of those who would like to spread hatred and … vilify the United States,” Bush said.